The official message
The official message for
29 April 2017
This year the International Dance Council CID joins forces with the World Food Program WFP to create Dance to Zero Hunger, a project promoting healthy eating through dance and education. WFP offers meals to 80 million people in 80 countries: wfp.org
Healthy eating and dance go hand in hand in encouraging a healthy lifestyle. We want to promote food security and Zero Hunger in all countries.
Schools will create small dance programs for children to realize the importance of food security and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Young dancers will have the opportunity to follow training and be certified after completing 150 hours of dance classes.
Participating schools will create choreography focusing on the importance of food security and achieving zero hunger, that will be showcased in celebrations of International Dance Day (29 April) and World Food Day (16 October). WPF, CID and UNESCO will launch their partnership with a media campaign and an event in Paris.
The project will promote food security, educate children about the importance of healthy eating, provide vocational opportunities and advocate for achieving zero hunger, through dance.
President of the International Dance Council
CID, UNESCO, Paris
1. The official message for Dance Day is mailed to over 100,000 dance professionals in 200 countries. It is translated to dozens of languages. Please ask for a translation, or translate the message to the language of your country; send it to dance organizations and the media. You can find guidelines and previous messages at www.danceday.cid-portal.org
2. World Dance Day, every year on 29 April, established in 1982 by CID, aims at attracting attention to the art of dance. It is celebrated by millions of dancers around the globe. On that day, dance companies, dance schools, organizations and individuals, professionals as well as amateurs, organize an activity addressing an audience different from their usual one.
- The International Dance Council CID is the official organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world.
- Its members are the most prominent federations, associations, schools, companies and individuals in more than 170 countries.
- CID was founded in 1973 within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris, where it is based.
- CID is official partner of UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.